How to Season and Use a Karai (Cast Iron Pan)
Seasoning the Karai
Before you use your Karai for the first time, it must be ‘seasoned’. This prevents food from sticking to it, and will also increase the life-time of your pan. If you look after it well, it will last forever!
- Pre-heat an oven to 350 F/180C or gas mark 4.
- Scrub the pan of any manufacturing residue and then dry thoroughly.
- Wipe the Karai with vegetable oil or ghee, coating the entire surface using a rag or a paper-towel.
- Place the cookware in the oven for one hour. Do not open the door.
- After an hour, turn the oven off and let the Karai cool in the oven. It is now ready to use.
Alternate seasoning method
- Wipe the inside of the Karai (the area which will come in contact with food) with vegetable oil or ghee, lightly coating the entire surface using a rag or a paper-towel.
- Heat the Karai on a medium heat till the oil starts to smoke.
- Shut off the heat and let the pan come to room temperature. It is now ready to use.
After cooking, wash your Karai under hot water. Don't use any soap or detergents. Dry it thoroughly (I put it on a medium heat on the hob to ensure it's completely dry). Wipe some cooking oil with paper-towel on the cooking surface and heat again.
Now you know how to look after your Karai, get stuck in and start making some yummy dishes!