Cucumber, Moong Dal and Coconut Salad
A dish developed by Lee whilst staying in Mysore. Salads (or 'Palaya') like this would be served alongside a number of regional specialities that would make up a full meal.
- Cover the moong dal and coconut in water and soak for 1 hour.
- Sprinkle the cucumber with salt and the lemon juice. Leave for 30 minutes.
- Drain the coconut and moong dal and squeeze out any remaining water.
- Add the moong dal, coconut and chilli flakes to the cucumber and mix well.
- Heat the oil and fry the mustard seed and asafoetida for 1 minute. Pour this mixture over the salad, mix and serve.