Rafi's Egg Korma
This is an easy version of Rafi's classic egg curry which can be found on p.127 of The Rafi's Spicebox Cookbook.
This dish uses our Korma Curry Pack in a very different way to create a really savoury dish. Egg curry is not something you will see on menus very often, but we love it! Eggs and spices (especially chilli and cumin) work incredibly well together. The white of the egg forms a lovely, subtle base which absorbs flavour and provides a perfect contrast to the rich yolk and earthy, smoky spices.
For a quick and light mid-week meal, this dish is perfect. Try serving alongside some plain basmati rice and a dry vegetable dish like our Cauliflower with Panch Pooran. To eat this 'Rafi's style', scoop out the egg yolk (eat this with the sauce and rice), fill the hollowed egg white with yoghurt and pop into your mouth all in one go! If you have any leftovers, they should be destined for breakfast on a thick slice of heavily buttered toast!
- Add the Korma Curry Pack to a large, shallow pan along with the water and passata. Gently simmer for 15 minutes. To really let the flavours develop, try making the sauce the day before you are going to eat it.
- Heat the sesame oil in a small frying pan. Fry the the cumin seeds, curry leaves and dry chillies for 2 minutes.
- Add the sliced garlic and fry for a further 1 - 2 minutes, until the garlic starts to brown around the edges.
- Pour the oil and spices into the sauce, cover and allow to infuse for a couple of minutes.
- Add the boiled eggs to the sauce, cover with a lid and gently warm through for 2 - 3 minutes. Season well with salt before serving.