Aubergine and Coconut Fry
A simple, dry aubergine dish with coconut, mustard seeds and curry leaves.
This is a very easy, quick dish to cook and makes an excellent accompaniment to a saucy curry. The key to this dish is a good hot pan, as you want the aubergine to char to give it a deep, smoky flavour. I probably season this with an unhealthy amount of salt, but it really helps to bring out the flavours. If you want some heat, simply add some finely sliced green chilli when you add the garlic.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan until hot.
- Add the mustard seeds and fry them until they start to pop.
- Add the curry leaves, let them sizzle briefly and then add the aubergine.
- Fry for 6 - 8 minutes until the aubergine is soft all the way through and charred on the outside.
- Lower the temperature and add the garlic and turmeric. Cook for 1 - 2 minutes, adding a splash of water to stop them from burning.
- Add the coconut and fry for a further 2 minutes to coat the aubergine and brown the coconut.
- Season well with salt and serve.