Healthy and sustaining, this jewel-coloured, mild curry is packed with aromatic spices, and cooled with coconut.
- Heat the oil in a deep saucepan or small wok. Add the mustard, cumin seeds, chilli and curry leaves and fry for 5 minutes until chilli turns dark
- Add the garlic and fry gently for 2-3 minutes
- Add the beetroot and turmeric and mix well and cook for 5 minutes
- Add the coconut milk and cook on a gentle simmer without a lid to reduce down to a rich sauce. The beetroot should be firm but cooked through. If the sauce thickens too quickly, simply add water and reduce further until the beetroot is cooked
- Once cooked, add salt and lemon juice and serve hot