Bengal Gram with Bottle Gourd (Doodhi Channa)
Rich Vegetarian Curry, very nutritious and satisfying.
A traditional dish among Deccan Muslims, this is a sumptuous meal, rich with vitamins and providing protein and energy to keep you going for the whole day.
- Heat the ghee or oil in a large pan and fry the onion until golden brown.
- Reduce the heat then add the chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric, ginger, chillies, and tomato.
- Fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the drained bengal gram (lentils) and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of water and the bottle gourd. Cook until the lentils are tender but not mushy.
- Add garam masala, lemon juice, and salt to taste.
- Heat the remaining 2 tbsp oil in a frying pan and fry all the tarka ingredients until the mustard seeds begin to crackle and the garlic is golden brown.
- Stir the oil and spices into the lentil and gourd mix and cover immediately.
- Serve hot, garnished with the coriander leaves.
This dish is good on its own, with rice, or as a side dish. If bottle gourd isn't for you, try using courgettes or marrow instead.