Broccoli and Moong Dal Pilau
Spiced rice with lentils and broccoli.
- Soak the rice and moong dal in cold water for 20 minutes, then drain well.
- Fry the onion, garlic, ginger, and chilli in a pan that has a tight fitting lid.
- Add the cloves, cinnamon stick, and green cardamon pods.
- Fry till the onions are slightly golden.
- Add the rice, dal, and turmeric, and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add 2 - 2 ½ cups of hot water, boil, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook and then shock the broccoli florets in ice cold water.
- Allow the rice mixture to cool slightly before adding the broccoli florets. Toss them together with fresh coriander, lemon juice, and olive oil.
- Season to taste.