Fish Madras with Tamarind
The Madras is complimented perfectly by a strongly flavoured fish like mackerel. Other meaty fish like monkfish, swordfish or prawns are lovely too (but not as easy on the wallet)!
- Heat a pan to a medium heat, empty in the Madras Curry Pack and dry fry the spices for 3 - 4 minutes.
- Add 300ml of water, a 400g tin of tomatoes and 1 ½ tbsp tamarind puree. Mix well, cover and leave to gently cook for 15 minutes.
- If you can, turn off the heat and leave the sauce for a few hours, or even overnight, to really let the flavours develop. Cut the mackerel through the backbone to create small steaks - this will hold the fish together and the skin and bones will add lots of flavour.
- Stir in the mackerel, cover and cook for 5 - 6 minutes.
- Add 300g peas and cook for a further 2 - 3 minutes, until the fish and peas are cooked through.
- Season to taste with salt and garnish with fresh coriander.