Malay Mixed Vegetable Pickle (Acar)
A quick, spicy and crunchy pickle for an authentic Malaysian taste.
- Bring the vinegar to the boil in a large pan, then blanch the vegetables (one variety at a time) for about 1 minute.
- Remove each vegetable with a deep sieve, shaking out as much of the vinegar as possible. (The vinegar can be strained and kept for other cooking).
- Place the vegetables in a large bowl and stir in the sugar, peanuts and sesame seeds.
- In a separate bowl, mix the turmeric and chilli powder with a little water to form a paste.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the garlic over a medium heat until fragrant.
- Add the chilli mixture and salt, and fry for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- When completely cool, add to the vegetables and mix well. Set aside, preferably overnight, before serving.
This can be stored in air-tight jars in the fridge where it will keep crisp for at least 2 months.