Moghul-Style Roast Lamb
This is one of many fine examples of fabulous rich food once enjoyed by the Moghul emperors.
- Place the first 11 ingredients in a food processor and blend to a smooth paste.
- Gradually add the yoghurt and continue to blend.
- Grease a large baking tray and preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas mark 5.
- Remove most of the fat and skin from the lamb. Using a sharp knife, make deep pockets above the bone at each side of the thick end and make deep diagonal gashes on both sides.
- Push cloves into the meat at random. Push some of the spice mixture into the pockets and spread the rest evenly all over the meat.
- Place the meat on the baking tray and cover the whole thing with foil.
- Roast for one and a half to two hours or till the meat is cooked to your taste, removing the foil for the last 10 minutes of cooking time.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes before carving. Garnish with almond flakes and serve with grilled tomatoes.