Piyaz Gobhi with leeks
A richer alternative to our onion and cabbage stir fry, using tasty onions and leeks.
Our Piyaz Gobhi is traditionally a lightly spiced onion and cabbage stir fry, a dry and earthy dish with a crunchy texture. With a slight change to the ingredients and the addition of a little butter, we've created an alternative version which is richer and sweeter, perfect as comfort food in the winter. Once the leeks cook down they have a lovely mild and slightly sweet flavour reminiscent of onion, which works well with the simple, warming spices. It is fantastic as an accompaniment to the hearty Dhansak along with rice and quick pickled onions.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and gently fry the onion for 4 -5 minutes until softened.
- Add the Piyaz Gobhi pack to the pan and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the sliced leeks and a generous splash of water.
- Mix, then cover with a lid and cook for around 15 minutes. Periodically stir the leeks and add a splash more water if it starts to get dry.
- Finally, add the butter, a squeeze of lemon juice and salt (to taste). Mix until the butter has all melted and coated the leeks and onion. Serve immediately.