Sweet Browned Rice
This is a very traditional accompaniment to the Dhansak, as part of the usual Sunday feast in Parsi communities.
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based pan, then fry the onion and spices until the onion is translucent.
- Add the sugar and stir.
- Add the unwashed rice and sauté it to glaze the grains.
- Add the water and salt (optional).
- Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to minimum, cover pan, and leave to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Leave to rest for 5 minutes, then gently toss the grains and serve hot.