Sweet and sour tamarind chutney, a very common accompaniment to samosas and bhajias.
- Break the tamarind into pieces and add 2 cups of water.
- Bring to the boil for 10 minutes.
- Strain it to remove seeds and skin.
- Add the roasted cumin powder, black salt, dry ginger powder, chilli powder, garam masala, jaggery and salt.
- Bring the liquid back to the boil for about 10 minutes until the jaggery melts completely.
- Thin the chutney with a little water to prevent it becoming too thick when cool.
This chutney can be kept in the fridge for several weeks.